OT Signature quote [was Re: Unrecognized escape sequences in string literals]

Hendrik van Rooyen mail at microcorp.co.za
Sun Aug 16 03:24:36 EDT 2009

>"Steven D'Aprano" <steve at REMOVE-THIS-c...e.com.au> wrote:

>Now that I understand what the semantics of cout << "Hello world" are, I
>don't have any problem with it either. It is a bit weird, "Hello world"
>>> cout would probably be better, but it's hardly the strangest design in
>any programming language, and it's probably influenced by input
>redirection using < in various shells.

I find it strange that you would prefer:

"Hello world" >> cout
over:
cout << "Hello world"

The latter seems to me to be more in line with normal assignment: -
Take what is on the right and make the left the same.
I suppose it is because we read from left to right that the first one seems
better to you.
Another instance of how different we all are.

It goes down to the assembler - there are two schools:

    mov    a,b      - for Intel like languages, this means move b to a
    mov    a,b      - for Motorola like languages, this means move a to b

Gets confusing sometimes.

- Hendrik