OT Signature quote [was Re: Unrecognized escape sequences in string literals]

Sun Aug 16 01:05:01 EDT 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 20:00:23 -0700, Douglas Alan wrote:

> So, as far as I can tell, Python has no real authority to throw stones
> at C++ on this little tiny particular issue.

I think you're being a tad over-defensive. I asked a genuine question
about a quote in somebody's signature. That's a quote which can be found
all over the Internet, and the poster using it has (as far as I know) no
official capacity to speak for "Python" -- while Aahz is a high-profile,
well-respected Pythonista, he's not Guido.

Now that I understand what the semantics of cout << "Hello world" are, I
don't have any problem with it either. It is a bit weird, "Hello world"
>> cout would probably be better, but it's hardly the strangest design in
any programming language, and it's probably influenced by input
redirection using < in various shells.

--
Steven