Unrecognized escape sequences in string literals

Fri Aug 14 13:55:59 EDT 2009

I think I've spent enough time on this discussion, so I won't be directly
responding to any of your recent points -- it's clear that I'm not
persuading you that there's any justification for any behaviour for
escape sequences other than the way C++ deals with them. That's your
prerogative, of course, but I've done enough tilting at windmills for
this week, so I'll just make one final comment and then withdraw from an
unproductive argument. (I will make an effort to read any final comments
you wish to make, so feel free to reply. Just don't expect an answer to
any questions.)

Douglas, you and I clearly have a difference of opinion on this. Neither
of us have provided even the tiniest amount of objective, replicable,
reliable data on the error-proneness of the C++ approach versus that of
Python. The supposed superiority of the C++ approach is entirely
subjective and based on personal opinion instead of quantitative facts.

I prefer languages that permit anything that isn't explicitly forbidden,
so I'm happy that Python treats non-special escape sequences as valid,
and your attempts to convince me that this goes against the Zen have
entirely failed to convince me. As I've done before, I will admit that
one consequence of this design is that it makes it hard to introduce new
escape sequences to Python. Given that it's vanishingly rare to want to
do so, and that wanting to add backslashes to strings is common, I think
that's a reasonable tradeoff. Other languages may make different
tradeoffs, and that's fine by me.

--
Steven