Is it possible to use python to get True Full Duplex on a Serial port?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Aug 14 06:54:32 EDT 2009

Hendrik van Rooyen schrieb:
> In the past, on this  group, I have made statements that said that on Linux,
> the serial port handling somehow does not allow transmitting and receiving at
> the same time, and nobody contradicted me.
>
> I am running into the self same issue again.
>
> What I normally do is to open the port like this:
>
> port = open("/dev/ttyS0","r+b",0)

How about using pyserial? With that, I never had any problems accessing
the the serial ports, and AFAIK no duplex-problems as well. And I
seriously doubt that these are a python-related problem - python only
has a very thin, direct layer above the posix-calls, and doesn't do
anything that would explain your observed behavior. The GIL is not the
issue here either - it won't interfer with blocking IO.

Diez