Social problems of Python doc [was Re: Python docs disappointing]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Aug 13 01:34:14 EDT 2009

Raymond Hettinger wrote:
> On Aug 12, 3:32 am, Paul Boddie <p... at boddie.org.uk> wrote:
>> Maybe the problem is that although everyone welcomes contributions and
>> changes (or says that they do), the mechanisms remain largely beyond
>> criticism.
>
> FWIW, I support the idea the regular docs incorporating links to
> freely editable wiki pages.  That will at least make it easier for
> people to make changes or add notes.
>
> That being said, I would like to add a few thoughts about the
> current process.

The summary that follows accords with my experiences and observations.
Perhaps you could add it to the Wiki.

   ISTM that important corrections (when the
> docs are clearly in error) tend to get made right away.

Many within a day. I have seen this with both some of my suggestions and
others.

   What
> is more interesting are the doc requests that get rejected
> and why:

One of my suggestions was postponed pending discussion on PyDev of the
underlying issue, which I have not initiated yet. Another Georg accepted
in principle but awaits me taking the time to write a fleshed out
replacement text.

> * Many doc requests come from people just learning the language
> (that makes sense because the learning process involves reading
> the docs).  Unfortunately, a fair number of those requests are
> flat-out wrong or represent a profound misunderstanding of the
> feature in question.  That may be an indicator that the docs
> need to be improved, but the specific suggestion can be inane.
>
> * Some doc requests come from people who simply do not like the
> feature in question.  It is natural for tastes, styles, and
> preferences to vary; however, we do have a firm rule that Guido's
> tastes, styles, and preferences are the ones that go into the
> language.  So the doc writers need to try to channel Guido instead
> of fighting him.  So, if you think eval() is evil (I don't but many
> do), we're not going to document that eval() should *never* be used.
> If you hate super(), that's too bad -- the docs need to describe
> what it does and how it was intended to be used -- the docs are no
> place for diatribes on why inheritance is over-used and why you
> think the world would be a better place without mixins or
> multiple inheritance.
>
> * Then, there is a matter of where to put a particular piece of
> documentation (how many times do you repeat a concept that pervades
> the language).

I doubt anyone can *really* understand the problem of organizing a
book's worth in technical information into coherent order until they
have actually tried to do so.

Agreed

Terry Jan Reedy