hashability

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 12 03:13:50 EDT 2009

On Aug 12, 4:52 pm, James Stroud <nospamjstroudmap... at mbi.ucla.edu>
wrote:

> Sorry for being a twit.

Don't be ridiculous.  You haven't been a twit, I have!

I've just had a complete "blonde" moment here (with apologies to any
real blondes out there.  My only excuse is that I've been up to 02:30
for the last three nights running (or maybe it's the ageing process, a
cerebrovascular accident or something).

I just checked a class I recently wrote specifically for the purposes
of hashing a dict (in case I had made this error IRL).  Wouldn't you
know it, it's subclassed to tuple, and defines both __eq__ and
__cmp__.  Luckily when I write production code the guy who knows what
he's doing takes over.  And this in an app which compares keys from
different pickled files (representing DB holdings)?!  Of all things.

I can't believe how unfathomably stupid I've been.  I'm extremely
embarassed.  I think I'll just go out and shoot myself now.  Or get
some sleep.