getting a "simple" program to work

John Haggerty bouncyinc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 01:02:57 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM, John Haggerty<bouncyinc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > ok so I know this is one of those "weird" requests but here me out.
> > So far I have an issue with a package for python called "libgmail" which
> is
> > basically a gmail interface for python to send messages remoetly.
> > Works ok except that the 'sendMessage' routine is bad.
>
> How is it "bad" precisely? Be specific (e.g. error message(s),
> description of observed incorrect behavior).

In regards to bad would be failing to transmit claiming that the submittal
is wrong for the transmit string.

(where username is my gmail username and "password" is my gmail password to
the test account, 6666666969 is the mobile number in question '00' is my
"carrier id" from the ogss code example which is just an array location from
a preformatted part of the string [probably from wikipedia on mobile carrier
email addresses to cell phones], I actually got desperate and commented out
the first attempt to transmit which I located in the code as just the
"instructions" the code fails on re-transmission, I later on looked at the
file and located that it was a zero byte file of no content. The program
itself looks for a command from the user's cell phone directly from mms sent
to the target gmail account prefaced by "Ogss" and anything else is treated
as a command but since the command failed on the first transmit I don't
think it's the command per se).

owner at bouncyinc:~/Desktop/OGSS$ python ogss.py username password 6666666969
00
Starting ogss
Logfile at:/home/owner/ogss.log
Opening log file for reading
Parsing user input
Connecting to Gmail
Logging into Gmail
Opening log file for writing
Listening for commands
Processing Command
ls: unrecognized option `---------------------------------------------'
Try `ls --help' for more information.
Seding back results
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "ogss.py", line 127, in <module>
    main(sys.argv)
  File "ogss.py", line 110, in main
    account.sendMessage(tosend)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libgmail.py", line 615, in
sendMessage
    raise GmailSendError, resultInfo[SM_MSG]
libgmail.GmailSendError: Please try again.

I traced the result to the sendMessage routine and noted that anytime it
tries to send anything it fails this also fails with the standard "docs"
package for libgmail 0.30 docs from the maintainer's site.

Now the part where it *does* fail is where it has an issue with looking at
the trailing info but then it would have logged the info to the file and
emailed me back junk (which it didn't)

I assume this could be done on any system just replace 'ls' with 'dir' or
the equivalent.

> > This is included in the above attachment
> > it's used in a program called "ogss" which is an sms interface to gmail
> > basically read gmail and then have a command done on a remote machine and
> > then spat out on the local machine to a log file that's opened and then
> > emailed back
> > problem is that the sending back routine fails.
>
> Which routine is that exactly? Please also specify exactly how it is
> failing (e.g. error message(s), description of observed incorrect
> behavior).
>
> I apologize if these questions are answered in comments in the
> attachments, but to be honest, the fact that you didn't (or couldn't)
> put the specific problematic sections of code (and/or error messages)
> inline in your message makes it less likely that people (such as
> myself) will try to help you due to the volume of code you're making
> people wade through (i.e. people tend not to read large code dumps,
> /especially/ in attachments).
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
> --
> http://blog.rebertia.com

That's ok I understand I hope that helps at least in part.