how to use "exec" stmt to get input from user

Rick King rickbking at comcast.net
Mon Aug 10 17:36:27 EDT 2009

Thanks for your comment.

The purpose of the application is to automate the manipulation of large
numbers of files. For automation I want to be able to have scripts that
I can use for various purposes.

On input, cmd.py handles calling "do_...." methods for known commands;
for the rest I want to "exec" the lines with my own dictionary. This
allows me to use python statements, so I can do things like
concatenating variables to form directory names, and so on. I'd like to
be able to use any python statement, including "x=raw_input('>')", but
this currently brings everything to a halt.

One thing this app does is execute processes using wxPythons wx.Process
object and wx.Execute function. wxPython makes it easy to redirect stdin
and stdout. I'm trying to do a similar thing for individual python
statements. I'm not sure that makes sense.

I hope that's clear.

Rick