Serial port access

Hendrik van Rooyen hendrik at microcorp.co.za
Sun Aug 9 09:14:20 EDT 2009

On Sunday 09 August 2009 03:20:12 nipun batra wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 2:11 AM, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 12:34 PM, nipun batra<nipunreddevil at gmail.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > How can we access serial port using usb-serial converters,using python
> > > in linux.
> >
> > PySerial might also be an option:
> > http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/index.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Chris
> > --
> > http://blog.rebertia.com
>
> pySerial mentions about serial ports but not about usb-serial.Can i do
> something like convert my usb-serial to act as serial port and then use
> pySerial

You can also look in the /dev directory to see which tty is created when you
plug in the usb to serial converter, and use that /dev/ttySx as a file,
reading and writing to it directly.

You will need this information whatever you do, as you will need to specify
which port to use, to whatever software you choose to use.

- Hendrik