Python docs disappointing - group effort to hire writers?

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 15:27:49 EDT 2009

Kee Nethery wrote:
> As someone trying to learn the language I want to say that the tone on
> this list towards people who are trying to learn Python  feels like it
> has become anti-newbies.

[snip]

> Kee Nethery
My gut feeling (which could of course be wrong) is that many hard core
Pythonistas are cheesed off with newbies who refuse to help themselves.
No evidence that that they've tried any Python tutorial.  No evidence
that that they've searched anywhere in an attempt to resolve the problem
before posting.  "This code doesn't work, please fix it".  Response
often "Please post your actual code, or a snippet that gives the same
exception, and give the complete exception details".

Show that you have made an attempt to help yourself, and the response
here is almost certainly 100% helpful.

Further, I have seen many requests here which are nothing really to do
with Python, say a query about which algorithm to use.  Response "Not
really a Python question, but try ...".  Put the same question on (say)
the C ng and you'd be told in no uncertain terms to Foxtrot Oscar.

--
Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.