Changing Remote Registry

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 11:05:01 EDT 2009

 On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:46 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> Kevin Holleran wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:11 AM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com<mailto:
>> python at mrabarnett.plus.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Kevin Holleran wrote:
>>
>>        Good morning,
>>
>>        I fear the answer to this is that I just cannot do this....
>>
>>        I wrote a python script that goes out to a bunch of remote
>>        machines and queries the registry for some values.  Effectively,
>>        there have been some software upgrades that have been done as
>>        the need arose but we need to do them across the organization
>>        now.  There are three, and the script checks all three and
>>        returns the values.  One of these just needs to be a registry
>>        change as it is a client server application that the server was
>>        upgraded and the clients need a change to a registry value to work.
>>
>>        Long story short, I am using _winreg to do this.
>>
>>        hKey = _winreg.OpenKey (keyPath, path, 0, _winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE)
>>        value,type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(hKey, item)
>>        if (value == wrongValue):
>>              _winreg.SetValue(hKey,'',_winreg.REG_SZ,correctValue)
>>

> Hmm. If you're querying with (hKey, item), shouldn't you also be setting
> with (hKey, item), not (hKey,'')?
>

>         When I do this I receive the error:
>>
>>        _winreg.SetValue WindowsError: [Error 5] Access Denied
>>

>>        I am running this from my machine as a domain admin, connecting
>>        to the remote machine which is also on the domain.
>>        I am connecting to the remote registry with:
>>
>>        keyPath = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(r"\\" +
>>        ipAddress,_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
>>

>>        Thanks for any help.
>>
>>    What is 'ipAddress'? Is it an actual IP address? The documentation says
>>    it should be the computer name.
>>

>> Thanks for the response.  From my experience that does not matter.  It is
>> an actual IP address.  I can connect to the registry fine, its just the
>> writing.  I read that value and other values.  It errors on the
>> _winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE.  I am wondering if Windows just will not let the
>> registry be changed remotely in this way or if there is something else I
>> have to do.
>>
>>  --

Sorry, that line is correct, I was removing specific information relevant to
our infrastructure.  That is the valuename.  The error I am getting is:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "script.py", line 53, in <module>
    value,type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(hKey,item)
WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied

But the real error is here I believe:

       hKey = _winreg.OpenKey (keyPath, path, 0, _winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE)

When I just do a:

       hKey = _winreg.OpenKey (keyPath, path, 0, _winreg.KEY_READ)

I receive no errors.

Thanks.