Using Python to automate builds

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 06:57:11 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:39 AM, Kosta<kosta.koeman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Setenv.bat sets up the path and other environment variables build.exe
> needs to compile and link (and even binplace) its utilities.  So
> building itself is not the issue.  The problem is that if I call
> setenv.bat from Python and then build.exe, but the modifications to
> the path (and other environment settings) are not seen by Python, so
> the attempt to build without a specified path fails.

It sounds like you do not propagate the environment when calling
setenv.bat from python. There is an option to do so in
subprocess.Popen init method, or you can define your own environment
if you do not want to propagate the whole environment (but this is
often difficult to avoid for build environment in my experience,
expecially if you don't have access to the sources of the whole system
to check which variables are necessary).

David