Turtle Graphics are incompatible with gmpy

Wed Aug 5 03:19:52 EDT 2009

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 03:49 pm Mensanator wrote:

> In 3.1, tracing is now a screen attribute, not a turtle atribute.
> I have no idea why
>
>   tooter = turtle.Turtle()
>   tooter.tracer(False)
>
> doesn't give me an error (I thought silent errors were a bad thing).

What makes it an error? Do you consider the following an error?

>>> class Test:
...     pass
>>> t = Test()
>>> t.tracer = 5

Perhaps you mean, it's an API change you didn't know about, and you wish to
protest that Turtle Graphics made an incompatible API change without
telling you?

> Naturally, having tracing on caused my program to crash.

It seg faulted or raised an exception?

[...]
> Unfortunately, that calculation of nhops is illegal if diffsq is
> an .mpf (gmpy floating point). Otherwise, you get

How does diffsq get to be a mpf? Are gmpy floats supposed to be supported?

--
Steven