Announcing PythonTurtle

Gregor Lingl gregor.lingl at aon.at
Tue Aug 4 08:45:47 EDT 2009

cool-RR schrieb:
>> Hi Ram,
>>
>> that's indeed a nice starting point for kids to doing turtle graphics,
>> although currently it seems to implement only a very small subset of
>> Python's turtle module's capabilities, even less than those of the old
>> turtle module (that shipped with Python upto 2.5).
> A text editor would be a good feature for future versions.
> Regarding the naming of functions: I named them in the way that seemed
> best to me. You seem not to agree, you like the way your functions are
> named better, and there's little point in arguing over which
> convention is truly better. The convention I chose is the one that
> seemed ideal to me.
> I did consider naming the functions the same way you did for
> consistency, but I decided not to compromise the quality of
> PythonTurtle just to be compatible with a module that my users may not
> even use.

That's the advantage of not developing for the standard library. In fact
those elementary commands you use were present already in the old turtle
module. When I decided to extend the old turtle module a primary
requirement was that it remains 100% compatible to the old one. New
versions of a module in the standard library must not break code of
previous users of that module. In short: I did not name these functions
but I had to use the names that already were there.

Nevertheless I'd prefer left and right over turn even today, especially
for kids as I argued before.

Regards,
Gregor