Newbie Question regarding __init__()

Simon dciphercomputing at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:25:10 EDT 2009

Okay I will fix my code and include "self" and see what happens.  I
know I tried that before and got another error which I suspect was
another newbie error.

The idea behind the init_Pre is that I can put custom code here to
customize the __init__ instead of creating a new subclass.  This kind
of hook pattern allows you to flatten your inheritance hierarchy.  I
can choose in the init_Pre method to execute code before the init_exec
(which contains the default __init__ code) and still execute the
init_Exec method or I can completely customize the entire __init__ by
returning False from init_Pre and prevent the init_Exec from being
called.  I use this type of pattern with almost all my methods.  In
this way I can create a less complicated inheritance chain but still
have have custom code when needed without sub-classing.

I am use to Visual FoxPro which where you can do

=This.init_Pre().And.This.init_Exec() and the result is discarded so
that is why it looks the way it does.  In this form init_Exec has to
return a value.  However, If self.init_Pre(): self.init_Exec() would
work the same and then I could avoid returning a value.

Thanks,
Simon