Python installation

Vo, Trinh (388C) trinh.vo at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 31 21:32:26 EDT 2009

Hello Python Users,

I am new to Python.  I have errors message when I installed Python.  I appreciate if you can help.

I download Python-2.6-2.  I then did the following steps:
./configure
make

In the second step "make", I had the following message:

Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:
_bsddb             _curses            _curses_panel
_hashlib           _sqlite3           _ssl
_tkinter           bsddb185           bz2
dbm                dl                 gdbm
imageop            readline           sunaudiodev
To find the necessary bits, look in setup.py in detect_modules() for the module's name.
I however still saw the binary python was installed in /usr/local/Python-2.6.2.  I tested, and it till run OK.  However, I am worried if the above message can cause any problem in  the future.  I have on my cluster:
X86_64
GCC version 4.1.2  (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)

Thank you,

Trinh Vo