pygtk - What is the best way to change the mouse pointer

Ido Levy IDOL at il.ibm.com
Wed Aug 26 08:38:50 EDT 2009

Hello All,

I am writing a dialog which one of its widget is a gtk.ComboBoxEntry (
let's assume widget in the example below is its instance )
When the user select one of the values from the gtk.ComboBoxEntry I need
to run some calculations that takes a few seconds.
In order to reflect calculation time to the user I want to switch the
mouse pointer to an hour glass and back to arrow what it finish the
calculation.

I use the following code but it doesn't seems to work in a deterministic
way. From time to time it skips the last line and keep the mouse pointer
as an hour glass.

        watch = gtk.gdk.Cursor(gtk.gdk.WATCH)
        widget.window.set_cursor(watch)

        calculation code

        widget.window.set_cursor(None)

I would appreciate your advice on the right way to implement this.

Thanks

Ido