best way to display photos

samwyse samwyse at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 21:53:00 EDT 2009

I have several thousand photographs that I need to quickly classify,
all by myself.  After extensive searches, I have been unable to find
anything to my liking, so desire to write something myself.  I'm
thinking about displaying a photo and waiting for keystrokes to tag
it; 'i' for interior, 'e' for exterior, etc., while hitting space or
enter will advance to the next photo.  My big question is, what's the
best way to display the photos.  I've used PIL in the past, but IIRC
it uses an external program.  Pygame is the next obvious choice, but
like PIL it requires an add-in.  That leaves Tkinter.  Has anyone used
it to display .JPG files, perhaps with rescaling to fit my screen?
How is its performance?  Is there any other possibilities that I've
missed?  Thanks.