Python/Fortran interoperability

nmm1 at cam.ac.uk nmm1 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 23 06:35:10 EDT 2009

I am interested in surveying people who want to interoperate between
Fortran and Python to find out what they would like to be able to do
more conveniently, especially with regard to types not supported for C
interoperability by the current Fortran standard.  Any suggestions as to
other ways that I could survey such people (Usenet is no longer as
ubiquitous as it used to be) would be welcomed.

My Email address is real, so direct messages will be received.

Specifically, I should like to know the answers to the following
questions:

    1) Do you want to use character strings of arbitrary length?

    2) Do you want to use Python classes with list members, where the
length of the list is not necessarily fixed for all instances of the
class?  Or, equivalently, Fortran derived types containing allocatable
or pointer arrays?

    2) Do you want to use Fortran derived types or Python classes that
contain type-bound procedures (including finalizers)?  Please answer
"yes" whether or nor you would like to call those type-bound procedures
from the other language.

    4) Do you want to call functions where the called language allocates
or deallocates arrays/lists/strings for use by the calling language?
Note that this is specifically Fortran->Python and Python->Fortran.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.