Python and PHP encryption/decryption

Jean-Claude Neveu jcn-france1972 at pobox.com
Wed Aug 19 15:01:25 EDT 2009

I'm looking for a recommendation about encryption/decryption packages
for Python.

I'm working on a project that will require me to store some values in
a database in encrypted format. I'll be storing them from a PHP
script and retrieving them (decrypting them) using Python. I'm
currently using PHP's mcrypt package to encrypt the values, and I'm
using AES for encryption, so something AES-compatible would be ideal.
However, the project is at the development stage so I can easily
change how I'm encrypting things in PHP if there is a compelling
reason on the Python side of things to do so.

Many Thanks,
Jean-Claude