coding for multiple versions of python

Tim Arnold tim.arnold at sas.com
Thu Aug 13 12:57:17 EDT 2009

Hi,
I've got a python based system that has to run on hp unix and red hat linux.
The Python version on the HP is 2.4 and the version on the Linux box is 2.6.
There's nothing I can do about that.

I think that means I must have two different libraries since the pyc files
are not cross-version compatible. No problem for the libs like PIL or lxml.
But for the part of the system I actually code every day, I'd rather not do
dual maintenance, having two copies of my code for each platform/version.

I'm guessing I need to configure cvs to copy files to both locations
whenever I commit. Does that sound right? Is there a better way I'm not
thinking of?

thanks,
--Tim