Does python have the capability for driver development ? Maybe with ShedSkin

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Aug 9 19:51:41 EDT 2009

MalC0de wrote:
> hello there, I've a question :
> I want to know does python have any capability for using Ring0 and
> kernel functions for driver and device development stuff .
> if there's such a feature it is very good, and if there something for
> this kind that you know please refer me to some reference and show me
> some snippet .
>
> thanks
>
> - Malc0de

     With the CPython interpretive system, it's not likely to work. But
using ShedSkin, which generates hard machine code, it might be possible.
The main problem is that Shed Skin uses a garbage-collected environment,
which few kernels have.

     Under QNX, which is a a real message-passing operating system with
all drivers in user space, it should be possible to write a driver in
Python.  There's Python for QNX.  It would probably be too slow to
be useful, though.

     I've actually written a handler for Baudot Teletype machines in
Python.  See

     https://sourceforge.net/projects/baudotrss/

Those machines are so slow (45.45 baud) that Python isn't the bottleneck.

					John Nagle