Extracting matrix from a text file

bbarbero at inescporto.pt bbarbero at inescporto.pt
Fri Aug 7 12:19:28 EDT 2009

Hello to all!!

I am new in python, and I am running it on Mac with Smultron editor. I
need to read a textfile that includes numbers (in a matrix form),
indexes, and strings, like this:

Marsyas-kea distance matrix for MIREX 2007 Audio Similarity Exchange
Q/R	1	2	3	4	5
1	0	4.54592	4.36685	5.29463	3.85728
2	4.54592	0	3.97667	5.02151	4.64284
3	4.36685	3.97667	0	4.98743	4.83683
4	5.29463	5.02151	4.98743	0	6.04393
5	3.85728	4.64284	4.83683	6.04393	0

So I just want to keep the matrix in the "middle" for math computations.

	0       4.54592	4.36685	5.29463	3.85728
	4.54592	0	3.97667	5.02151	4.64284
	4.36685	3.97667	0	4.98743	4.83683
	5.29463	5.02151	4.98743	0	6.04393
	3.85728	4.64284	4.83683	6.04393	0

I've seen and tried a lot of ways, like split or isinstance.. but
never get the wanted result.... does anyone have an idea, or hint?
Thank you once more for your help!

Best Regards,
Bea