Changing Remote Registry

Kevin Holleran kdawg44 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 09:52:16 EDT 2009

Good morning,

I fear the answer to this is that I just cannot do this....

I wrote a python script that goes out to a bunch of remote machines and
queries the registry for some values.  Effectively, there have been some
software upgrades that have been done as the need arose but we need to do
them across the organization now.  There are three, and the script checks
all three and returns the values.  One of these just needs to be a registry
change as it is a client server application that the server was upgraded and
the clients need a change to a registry value to work.

Long story short, I am using _winreg to do this.

hKey = _winreg.OpenKey (keyPath, path, 0, _winreg.KEY_SET_VALUE)
value,type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(hKey, item)
if (value == wrongValue):
       _winreg.SetValue(hKey,'',_winreg.REG_SZ,correctValue)

When I do this I receive the error:

_winreg.SetValue WindowsError: [Error 5] Access Denied

I am running this from my machine as a domain admin, connecting to the
remote machine which is also on the domain.
I am connecting to the remote registry with:

keyPath = _winreg.ConnectRegistry(r"\\" +
ipAddress,_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)

Thanks for any help.

--
Kevin Holleran
Master of Science, Computer Information Systems

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a
habit." - Aristotle

"A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by
conformity stays down for good. " - Thomas J. Watson