Queryable Daemon

Justin DeCell justindecell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 14:07:15 EDT 2009

Hi All,

I was hoping for a little help with a project I'm working on. I'm
writing a daemon in python that I want to be queryable  (i.e. I should
be able to run foo -s and it will report some internal information
about the foo daemon if it's running) but I can't figure out a way get
information from that process from an external process. I was thinking
that there should be a way to open a file descriptor, have the daemon
write to that every so often and then have the query process just read
from that fd but it looks like on the process reading from an fd has
to be a child of the daemon for this to work. The only other way I
thought of would be to write to a file on disk every so often from the
daemon and just read the from the query process but it seems like
there should be a more elegant way to do this...

By the way I'm writing this for unix only so there's no need to worry
about compatibility with other os'.

Thanks,

         -Justin