import and package confusion

Dale Amon amon at vnl.com
Thu Apr 30 10:05:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 08:32:31AM +0200, Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
-On [20090430 02:21], Dale Amon (amon at vnl.com) wrote:
>>import sys
>>sys.path.extend (['../lib', '../bin'])
>>
>>from VLMLegacy.CardReader import CardReader
>>rdr = CardReader ("../example/B767.dat","PRINTABLE")
>>
>>iotypes     = ["WINGTL","VLMPC","VLM4997"]
>>for iotype in iotypes:
>>        packagename = "VLMLegacy." + iotype + ".Conditions"
>>        classname   =  iotype + "_Conditions"
>>        code        = "from %s import Conditions as %s" \
>>                       % (packagename, classname)
>>        x           = compile (code,"foo","exec")
>>        exec x
>>        cls = globals()[classname]
>>        a = cls(rdr,2)
>>        a.test()
>
> Right now your code boils down to:
>
> from VLMLegacy.VLM4997.Conditions import Conditions as VLM4997_Conditions
> from VLMLegacy.VLMPC.Conditions import Conditions as VLMPC_Conditions
> from VLMLegacy.WINGTL.Conditions import Conditions as WINGTL_Conditions
>
> And while you are, of course, allowed to do so, it's not the way you would
> want to approach it in Python.
>
> For each subpackage/module you could add an import and __all__ to
> __init__.py to expose Conditions and then shorten it all to:
>
> import VLMLegacy.VLM4997 as VLM4997
> import VLMLegacy.VLMPC as VLMPC
> import VLMLegacy.WINGTL as WINGTL
>
> So that you can do:
>
> a = VLM4997.Conditions(rdr, 2)
> a.test()

If my proof of concept test code were actually all there was
you would be correct. But what I wish to accomplish is that
a string supplied from the command line does a run time load
of code that is not even explicitely mentioned in the main
body of the system.

	myprogram --type NEWTYPE old.dat

Where NEWTYPE did not exist when the above code was written and
distributed. Think of the following scenario.

* Customer tells me, we have old data decks which are not
  quite in any of the supported formats.

* I supply a new subpackage NEWTYPE with the varient code.

* They copy it into the package directory, VLMLegacy/NEWTYPE.

* They type the name of that package as a command line arg as
  above.

* The code I wrote takes their string and dynamically binds
  and uses the new code without changing anything else in
  the code base.

Now I agree it is hackish. I don't really want to eval,
I just want to import a module whose name is contained
in a variable. I'm not unhappy with the second part where
I use globals()[thestring] to get from a string to a
class object; I am indeed bothered that I have to eval
to do the import as I have been unable so far to find
a way to make it work dynamically. I'd be perfectly happy
if something like this worked:

	from VLMLegacy.CardReader import *
	opts, args  = p.parse_args()
        iotype      = opts.type
        targetname  = "Deck"
	packagename = "VLMLegacy." + iotype + "." targetname
	classname   =  iotype + "_" + targetname

	# I only wish something like this worked...
	from packagename import targetname as classname

        cls = globals()[classname]

        file = args[0]
        rdr  = CardReader(file,opts.punchtype)
        a = cls(rdr,2)
        a.read()

	<do minutes or hours of calculations>

but it doesn't. Oh, and it gets worse later. The data I'm
reading is potentially straight off ancient Fortran decks
with no spaces between numbers. ;-)