print(f) for files .. and is print % going away?

Esmail ebonak at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:30:50 EDT 2009

Matt Nordhoff wrote:
> Esmail wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I use the print method with % for formatting my output to
>> the console since I am quite familiar with printf from my
>> C days, and I like it quite well.
>>
>> I am wondering if there is a way to use print to write
>> formatted output to files?
>>
>> Also, it seems like I read that formatting with print is
>> going away eventually and we should start using something
>> else? Is that true and if so, what?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Esmail

Hi Matt,

> String formatting has nothing to do with the print statement/function.
> It's an operator, just like doing "foo" + "bar"; you can use it wherever
> you want.

Ah .. so this means I could use this formatting with the
write method for files .. that is great news (you don't
want to see the ugly code I put together there .. :-)

> See <http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-formatting>
> Also see <http://docs.python.org/library/string.html#formatstrings> for
> information on the replacement for the old string formatting, Python
> 2.6's new str.format().

Will do .. so do you think it's good to move to the new format,
or will the older one still be around for a while?

Thanks again!

Esmail