Tools for web applications

Marco Mariani marco at sferacarta.com
Thu Apr 30 04:26:15 EDT 2009

Mario wrote:

> I used JCreator LE, java IDE for windows because, when I add documentation
> of some new library, I have it on a F1 and index. So how you manage
> documentation and code completion ? I asume that you are geek but not even
> geeks could know every method of every class.

What you call "code completion" cannot work in many cases with dynamic
languages. Nobody knows which methods are available to an object until
the program is running.
Dynamic access to attributes/methods that don't explicitly exist in
Python code, is much more common than you might think.
As an example, your object might be an instance of a class mapped to SQL
tables that are reflected at runtime. Attributes would represent
database columns and other things that are never declared in Python code.
Or suppose the object is returned by an XML/HTML/JSON parser from a
document the program has just downloaded from Argentina. Methods here
would be the sub-elements or tag attributes for traversing the document.
The instance we're talking of might even be deserialized from ...
somewhere, without any need to declare type or any interface at all.

I must admit that I've never used completion of anything while
developing. I routinely it do with the IPython shell, and I would suffer
if I didn't have it in postgres, but not while editing python.