PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Wed Apr 29 19:28:52 EDT 2009

On 29Apr2009 23:41, Barry Scott <barry at barrys-emacs.org> wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2009, at 07:50, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> If the locale's encoding is UTF-8, the file system encoding is set to
>> a new encoding "utf-8b". The UTF-8b codec decodes non-decodable bytes
>> (which must be >= 0x80) into half surrogate codes U+DC80..U+DCFF.
>
> Forgive me if this has been covered. I've been reading this thread for a
> long time and still have a 100 odd replies to go...
>
> How do get a printable unicode version of these path strings if they
> contain none unicode data?

Personally, I'd use repr(). One might ask, what would you expect to see
if you were printing such a string?

> I'm guessing that an app has to understand that filenames come in two
> forms unicode and bytes if its not utf-8 data. Why not simply return string if
> its valid utf-8 otherwise return bytes? Then in the app you check for the type for
> the object, string or byte and deal with reporting errors appropriately.

Because it complicates the app enormously, for every app.

It would be _nice_ to just call os.listdir() et al with strings, get
strings, and not worry.

With strings becoming unicode in Python3, on POSIX you have an issue of
deciding how to get its filenames-are-bytes into a string and the
reverse. One could naively map the byte values to the same Unicode code
points, but that results in strings that do not contain the same
characters as the user/app expects for byte values above 127.

Since POSIX does not really have a filesystem level character encoding,
just a user environment setting that says how the current user encodes
characters into bytes (UTF-8 is increasingly common and useful, but
it is not universal), it is more useful to decode filenames on the
assumption that they represent characters in the user's (current) encoding
convention; that way when things are displayed they are meaningful,
and they interoperate well with strings made by the user/app. If all
the filenames were actually encoded that way when made, that works. But
different users may adopt different conventions, and indeed a user may
have used ACII or and ISO8859-* coding in the past and be transitioning
to something else now, so they will have a bunch of files in different
encodings.

The PEP uses the user's current encoding with a handler for byte
sequences that don't decode to valid Unicode scaler values in
a fashion that is reversible. That is, you get "strings" out of
listdir() and those strings will go back in (eg to open()) perfectly
robustly.

Previous approaches would either silently hide non-decodable names in
listdir() results or throw exceptions when the decode failed or mangle
things no reversably. I believe Python3 went with the first option
there.

The PEP at least lets programs naively access all files that exist,
and create a filename from any well-formed unicode string provided that
the filesystem encoding permits the name to be encoded.

The lengthy discussion mostly revolves around:

  - Glenn points out that strings that came _not_ from listdir, and that are
    _not_ well-formed unicode (== "have bare surrogates in them") but that
    were intended for use as filenames will conflict with the PEP's scheme -
    programs must know that these strings came from outside and must be
    translated into the PEP's funny-encoding before use in the os.*
    functions. Previous to the PEP they would get used directly and
    encode differently after the PEP, thus producing different POSIX
    filenames. Breakage.

  - Glenn would like the encoding to use Unicode scalar values only,
    using a rare-in-filenames character.
    That would avoid the issue with "outside' strings that contain
    surrogates. To my mind it just moves the punning from rare illegal
    strings to merely uncommon but legal characters.

  - Some parties think it would be better to not return strings from
    os.listdir but a subclass of string (or at least a duck-type of
    string) that knows where it came from and is also handily
    recognisable as not-really-a-string for purposes of deciding
    whether is it PEP-funny-encoded by direct inspection.

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The peever can look at the best day in his life and sneer at it.
        - Jim Hill, JennyGfest '95