Python 2.6 Install on OSX Server 10.5: lWhich flag to use in "configure" to Change the Install location?

Benjamin Kaplan bsk16 at case.edu
Wed Apr 29 18:29:51 EDT 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Omita <hays.clark at gmail.com> wrote:

> Long story short... I am installing Python 2.6 on OSX Server.  By
> default the Python.framework is installing in /Library:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework
>
> However, as I am using OSX Server I would ideally like the install
> location to be here:
>
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/

No, you don't want the install location to be there.
"""
Third-party frameworks should never be installed in the
/System/Library/Frameworks directory. Access to this directory is restricted
and is reserved for Apple-provided frameworks only.
"""
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/BPFrameworks/Tasks/InstallingFrameworks.html

Regardless, the linker searches /Library/Frameworks before
/System/Library/Frameworks so a user-installed framework gets priority over
the system one.