dict is really slow for big truck

MRAB google at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed Apr 29 14:34:36 EDT 2009

Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
>> d = {}
>> for line in open(thefile):
>>    arr = line.strip().split()
>>    d[arr[0]] = arr
>
> Sorry, not picking on Bruno in particular, but I keep seeing
> this formulation around various places.
> When does line.strip().split() ever differ from line.split()?

http://www.python.org/doc/current/library/stdtypes.html?highlight=split#str.split

If sep is not specified or is None, a different splitting algorithm is
applied: runs of consecutive whitespace are regarded as a single
separator, and the result will contain no empty strings at the start or
end if the string has leading or trailing whitespace. Consequently,
splitting an empty string or a string consisting of just whitespace with
a None separator returns [].