Python Noob - a couple questions involving a web app

Kyle T. Jones seriously? at youvegottabekidding.net
Wed Apr 29 10:28:16 EDT 2009

Bruno Desthuilliers, my dear, dear friend, there was this time, oh,
4/29/2009 3:02 AM or thereabouts, when you let the following craziness
loose on Usenet:
> Kyle T. Jones a écrit :
>> Been programming for a long time, but just starting out with Python.
>> Not a professional programmer, just that guy in one of those
>> organizations that won't hire a pro, instead saying "Hey, Kyle knows
>> computer stuff - let's have him do this (and that, and the other, etc)".
>>
>> So, the higher ups want a web app that'll let them enter (from an
>> intranet page) a rather simple, but quite lengthy, list - details to
>> be stored in a MySQL database... just normal stuff here, entering,
>> editing, and deleting entries, sorting, etc.
>>
>> On the internet side of things, folks get the info served up to them,
>> can sort it in a few ways, etc - it's pretty basic stuff.
>>
> (snip)
>
> I can only second Arnaud and Emile : Django is very probably what you're
> looking for, and by all means better than any PHP thingie - wrt/ both
> development time and security.
>
> You'll indeed first have to learn the framework (and Python of course),
> and learn how to deploy your app in production (which can be a bit
> tricky if you're not familiar with server admin), but there's a good
> documentation and a very helpful community around both the Django
> framework and the Python language.

Thanks everyone!  Wow, pretty much a consensus - a rarity with these
"types" of questions, at least in my experience.

Ok, sounds like I need to be looking at Django.  Thanks for the advice!

Cheers!