bug with os.rename in 2.4.1?

t123 tom.lukes at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:43:01 EDT 2009

It's running on solaris 9.  Here is some of the code.  It's actually
at the beginning of the job.  The files are ftp'd over.  The first
thing that happens is that the files get renamed before any processing
of the file.  And when it fails, it always fails at the first file,
comm.dat.  What I can't understand is why the inconsistent behavior.

try:
        if os.path.exists(paths.xferin_dir+'/COMM.DAT'):
          os.rename(paths.xferin_dir+'/COMM.DAT',paths.xferin_dir+'/
COMM.DAT'+'.0')
        if os.path.exists(paths.xferin_dir+'/DESC.DAT'):
          os.rename(paths.xferin_dir+'/DESC.DAT',paths.xferin_dir+'/
DESC.DAT'+'.0')
        if os.path.exists(paths.xferin_dir+'/HEADER.DAT'):
          os.rename(paths.xferin_dir+'/HEADER.DAT',paths.xferin_dir+'/
HEADER.DAT'+'.0')
        if os.path.exists(paths.xferin_dir+'/LINE.DAT'):
          os.rename(paths.xferin_dir+'/LINE.DAT',paths.xferin_dir+'/
LINE.DAT'+'.0')

except:
    print "Unexpected error:", sys.exc_info()[0]
    raise