Using ascii numbers in regular expression

jorma kala jjkk73 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 07:58:08 EDT 2009

Thanks very much for your reply.
What I mean is that I would like to use the ascii number in a regular
expression pattern.
For instance, if I want to substitute the occurrences of character 'a' for
the character 'b' in a string, instead of doing this:

re.subn('a','b','aaaa')

I'd like to specify the ascii number of a (which is 97)
I tried converting 97 to hexadecimal (with hex()) and tried this

re.subn(''\0x61,'b','aaaa')

but it doesnt work.
I need this because I'm working on non printable characters.

Thanks a lot