Light (general) Inter-Process Mutex/Wait/Notify Synchronization?

Gunter Henriksen gunterhenriksen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 01:37:51 EDT 2009

> > > Try this: http://nikitathespider.com/python/shm/
> >
> > I am hoping not to plug something underneath the Python
> > VM; I would rather use a socket, or use signals.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  It's just an extension module
> that you'd import like any of the stdlib modules.

I cannot import it unless a corresponding extension
implementation is plugined underneath the Python VM.

> Certainly anything involving sockets or signals is
> going to be a lot slower.

Indeed, but I can "import signal" or "import socket"
wherever I go, without worrying about requiring (or
worse yet, having to bundle) a CPython plugin
(presuming I am even running on top of CPython).
I am hoping for something which does not require
a context switch (or worse) for every wait/notify.