Thread-killing, round 666 (was Re: Lisp mentality vs. Python mentality)

Francesco Guerrieri f.guerrieri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 07:45:56 EDT 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Vsevolod <vseloved at gmail.com> wrote:

> As well I'd like to outline, that, IMO, your answer exhibits the
> common attitude among pythonistas: everything should be done in one
> true way, which is the best option (and that is how it's implemented
> in the current version of the language). As of PEP-20: "There should
> be one-- and preferably only one --obvious way to do it. Although that
> way may not be obvious at first unless you're Dutch." And if someone
> disagrees -- he just doesn't understand...
>
> Cheers,
> Vsevolod

Well, I'd rather say that if someone disagrees, she is free to use Lisp :-)
What I like about Python (my own idea of Pythonicity) is that it is similar
to Unix: Python has a phylosophy.
Guido's ideas, and of all the author and contributors to the PEPs, have till
now shaped a language.
What cannot be added to it in an elegant way, consistent with the overall
picture,
is better kept out of the language. It's not a matter of attitude or
understanding...

Francesco