Is there a maximum size to a Python program?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Mon Apr 27 01:49:42 EDT 2009

On Apr 27, 3:31 pm, "Paul Hemans" <dar... at nowhere.com> wrote:
> Thanks John, I understand where you are coming from and will try and digest
> it all. One problem though that I didn't mention in my original posting was
> that the replication may only require updating one or more fields, that is a
> problem with a generating a single SQL statement to cover all requests.

OK so you need TWO programs -- one tailored for initial loading of a
table, the other for subsequent updates. Still O(1) :-)

OR you could still do it in one, by using the prepared whole-row SQL
statement if appropriate, or building an SQL statement on the fly if
it's an update.

> I am
> having a look at eval and exec

WRONG WAY
GO BACK

> to see if they will give me a little more
> flexibility in runtime generation of the code.

And another thing that you didn't mention was that you are using
SQLAlchemy -- perhaps you might like to ask your question on that
package's forum ... including a few more facts than heretofore :-)

HTH
John