[Python-Dev] PEP 383: Non-decodable Bytes in System Character Interfaces

Adrian agbauer at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 20:59:54 EDT 2009

How about another str-like type, a sequence of char-or-bytes? Could be
called strbytes or stringwithinvalidcharacters. It would support
whatever subset of str functionality makes sense / is easy to
implement plus a to_escaped_str() method (that does the escaping the
PEP talks about) for people who want to use regexes or other str-only
stuff.

Here is a description by example:
os.listdir('.') -> [strbytes('normal_file'), strbytes('bad', 128, 'file')]
strbytes('a')[0] -> strbytes('a')
strbytes('bad', 128, 'file')[3] -> strbytes(128)
strbytes('bad', 128, 'file').to_escaped_str() -> 'bad?128file'

Having a separate type is cleaner than a "str that isn't exactly what
it represents". And making the escaping an explicit (but
rarely-needed) step would be less surprising for users. Anyway, I
don't know a whole lot about this issue so there may an obvious reason
this is a bad idea.