Get item from set

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Apr 26 09:21:21 EDT 2009

Peter Otten:
> [...] I think Raymond Hettinger posted
> an implementation of this idea recently, but I can't find it at the moment.
> [...]
> class Grab:
>     def __init__(self, value):
>         self.search_value = value
>     def __hash__(self):
>         return hash(self.search_value)
>     def __eq__(self, other):
>         if self.search_value == other:
>             self.actual_value = other
>             return True
>         return False
>
> assert a == z
> assert a is not z
> grab = Grab(z)
> grab in s
> assert grab.actual_value is a

That's very nice, and I may add to my tricks. Probably Raymond has
more brain than me :-)

But some other times you may accept to change the class and the set/
dict, making it tell apart the keys only when they are different
object:

class Some(object):
    def __init__(self, y):
        self._y = y
    def __eq__(self, other):
        return self is other
    def __hash__(self):
        return hash(self._y)

Now your set/dict keeps all the instances, even when they contain the
same _y.

Bye,
bearophile