confused with so many python package locations for imports

Krishnakant hackingkk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 05:08:19 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 18:31 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> Python has a habit of generating, and expecting to find,
> platform-specific files (‘foo.pyo’ extension modules), compiled bytecode
> files (‘foo.pyc’), and module source files (‘foo.py’) necessarily in the
> same directory for purpose of locating them at import time.

Thanks a lot for this information.
So now if I say for example choose ubuntu and debian for my testing
purpose, should I put all the packages I make
into /usr/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages?  Will this be a safe choice
for at least debian and Ubuntu?

I will later on think of fedora etc.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.