Installing 2.6 on a Mac

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Apr 25 02:23:09 EDT 2009

In article <a06240802c61849e0047c@[192.168.1.100]>,
 Greg Reyna <greyna at socal.rr.com> wrote:
> I want to install Python 2.6 on a dual 1.42 GHz MacG4 tower running
> OS 10.5.6.  The Python installer wants to create the Python.framework
> directory in "/Library/Frameworks" but it can't because there's an
> alias of the same name in there.  On this machine, Python 2.5.1 is
> installed in
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5"
>
> The "Versions" folder has within it folders for "2.3","2.5", and
> "Current" (the latter is an alias to the 2.5 folder)
>
> FYI: In the /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework folder are
> aliases to Resources, CodeResorces, and the Python program itself.
> These all point to the 2.5 folder.
>
> So, my question is, can I move the alias out of
> "/Library/Frameworks", let the installer do its thing, then move the
> newly installed files into "/System/Library/Frameworks/" so
> everything will be together?  Naturally, I would follow the odd way
> everything is currently installed by creating a 2.6 directory.  After
> that, I will exchange all the aliases so they point at the new 2.6
> directory, as well as creating a new alias for "/Library/Frameworks".
>
> I'm new at this so I wanted to check with someone who knows what
> they're doing.  I always heard we're not supposed to mess with the
> System/Library, but I guess this is an exception.

No, it's not an exception; your first instinct is correct to not mess
with /System/Library.  The python there is supplied by Apple as part of
OS X.   python.org installers install to /Library/Frameworks/Python.  If
you downloaded a python.org installer for 2.6.x, there shouldn't be any
problems installing to /Library/Frameworks/Python as long as you have
admin permission.  There can be multiple python versions installed in
/Library/Frameworks.  For more info see for example:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.apple/15600

If you are still having problems, I suggest bringing the specific errors
to the pythonmac sig forum: