Python not importing mysqldb

Jerry Hill malaclypse2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:25:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:04 PM, 83nini <83nini at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> i've been sweating the whole day trying to make python work with mysql
> but in vain!
> i'm doing the following:
> 1. visiting http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
> 2. dowloading mysql-python-test-1.2.3c1
> 3. extracting the files to C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages
> 4. writing "import MySQLdb" in the python prompt

I don't believe step 3 is the proper way to install this extension.

I don't have any personal experience with this package, but it appears
to be a setuptools based extension package.  Based on that, I believe
the proper way to install it is to extract all of the files to a
temporary directory and run 'python setup.py install' from the command
line.

It looks like this package also has a _mysql.c file that setuptools
will need to compile.  That means you'll need all the appropriate
build tools for compiling c extension modules on windows in a way
that's compatible with your version of python.  Alternatively, it
means waiting for someone who does have all of that infrastructure
already set up and working to compile a windows installer.

Also, as Emile pointed out, all of that may be in vain, since python
2.6 doesn't appear to be supported by this extension yet.

--
Jerry