Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

norseman norseman at hughes.net
Thu Apr 23 17:02:19 EDT 2009

David Stanek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 1:12 PM, norseman <norseman at hughes.net> wrote:
>> BB's, User Lists, all repositories can make these required before
>> acceptance.
>>

> This is open source. I volunteer my time on the projects that I
> maintain. If you don't like the quality or lack of documentations,
> tests, etc. Contribute. Or just don't use the software.
>
> What maybe another option is to have a karma rating on PYPI. Maybe
> based off of home much you are included in other packages or some
> other factors.
>                  ^
              ..how much..
(nice to know I'm not the only one that does that :)

I find that a useful idea. A good concept for "retro grading".

Whenever I run a team I make it a practice to never make the others do
something I won't.  I do ask for volunteers to do things I cannot.

Lets start with - what's done is done. (What is out there is there.)
If you think I'm somehow able to take a look at a plain piece of code
you posted yesterday and know that it was written 26 years ago on a CP/M
2.0 dual HD DS 8" floppy drive system using Microsoft Assembly for the
Z80 chip, intended as a generic print driver for the IBM Seletric
converted to operate with computers of the day - you have an unrealistic
esteem of my abilities.

If you won't make the request to those supplying things you maintain - I
have an unrealistic esteem of your efforts in protecting Open Source and
its use by others.

Fair enough?

Everyone OK?

If ever you are in Sacramento, CA; E-me a note.  There is a pub down the
way from where I work.  I'll buy you a pint.  While there, perhaps we
could write that crawler that collects for the "retro grading".

Steve
norseman at hughes.net