Python Packages : A looming problem? packages might no longer work? (well not on your platform or python version anyway)

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Apr 23 12:54:48 EDT 2009

On 23 Apr, 17:46, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchin... at googlemail.com> wrote:

> You and I probably have a different approach to posts to c.l.p. I try
> to interpret things in the best possible light and get the most out of
> a suggestion.

There may be merit in the suggestion, but there also has to be
skepticism, even if it is regarded as "stop energy" in certain
circles.

[...]

> That is why the proposal is an important one. Let's say snakebite is
> not suitable for PyPI. What can be done on PyPI that helps developers
> with multiplatform/multiversion testing?

I think that PyPI plays an important role in publicising packages and
getting them out there in their "raw" form, but it's not the centre of
the universe. Maybe the answer doesn't involve PyPI at all or, more
likely, involves PyPI as a peripheral thing from which people acquire
those packages that have to work together on a specific platform. Such
a solution wouldn't have that much to do with PyPI, other than letting
people download large collections of packages very quickly,
potentially from mirror sites, which is something that various GNU/
Linux distribution services permit (and something which seems to have
been a struggle with PyPI).

Paul