Would you support adding UNC support to os.path on Windows?

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 18:41:06 EDT 2009

Aahz wrote:
> In article <mailman.4310.1240363364.11746.python-list at python.org>,
> Larry Hastings  <larry at facebook.com> wrote:
>> I've written a patch for Python 3.1 that changes os.path so it handles
>> UNC paths on Windows.  You can read about it at the Python bug tracker:
>>
>>    http://bugs.python.org/issue5799
>>
>> I'd like to gauge community interest in the patch.  After all, it's has
>> been declined before; I submitted a similar patch for 1.5.2 way back in
>> 1999.  (You can read the details of that on the tracker page too.)
>
> You should bring this up on python-dev.

In Larry's defense, I suggested he bring it here first to try and find
some common noise from the people with the most experience actually
using these functions - ie, those people here.  My hope was that some
vague consensus here would offer more ammunition when finally taking it
to python-dev for consideration (or kill it without taking it there -
but it's looking good :)

Cheers,

Mark