the correct way to install python packages as non root user in non default path

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue Apr 21 09:03:20 EDT 2009

News123 wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>

> Thanks a lot. Reading the description this sounds to be the right thing.
>

> But now I'm stuck installing virtualenv as a user as this seems to be no
> ubunbtu package:
>

> export PYTHONPATH=/opt/newpymod/lib/python2.5/site-packages
> mkdir -p $PYTHONPATH
> easy_install --prefix /opt/newpymod install virtualenv

Just because apt-get uses "install" as command doesn't mean everything else
does. And easy_install is one of those which doesn't. Remove the "install",
and things should work.

Additionally, I don't see any problem with installing virtualenv into the
system-python. It's an addon, not a replacement, thus it shouldn't collide
with package management (unless you are going to remove python)

Diez