iterate to make multiple variables?

john gnujohn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 02:11:56 EDT 2009

On Apr 19, 11:11 pm, Tairic <ala... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm somewhat new to programming and especially to python. Today I
> was attempting to make a sudoku-solver, and I wanted to put numbers
> into sets call box1, box2, ... box9, so that I could check new values
> against the boxes
>
> I ended up declaring the boxes like this
> box1 = set([])
> box2 = set([])
> ..
> ..
> box9 = set([])
>
> Is there a way for me instead to generate these variables (box1 to
> box9) as empty sets instead of just writing them all out? Some way to
> iterate and generate them?
>
> Sorry if this is confusing, thanks in advance.

There's a key to answering you.  You pointed it out in your question,
when you say '...if
this is confusing, ...'.  Most of programming involves writing down
the stuff we need so that
we see it in less-confusing ways.  It's called "stepwise refinement"
by the book publishers.
What it means is that you try to think about your problem, mess about
with the tools at hand,
(lists [], sets ()  , sequences () ,strings "  ", and dictionaries
{ : }), and see what might
do for the job.  How are they different.  You ought to monkey around
with each of them, on your own--don't ask for help, because we can't
help as much as you can help yourself.  You'll understand much more,
in the end, besides.  Then, when you come back, with some code, even
some code that doesn't work worth a damn, if it's halfway reasonable,
we'll be able to show you where your slight misstep was--but often,
you'll get stuff working, and it's really important that you start to
do it.  Mess with the effing interpreter, mess with it often, and look
at different examples, and try them all out.  Truly.