What is a real name, round 668

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Apr 20 21:41:05 EDT 2009

aahz at pythoncraft.com (Aahz) writes:

> In article <87hc0iltal.fsf at benfinney.id.au>,
> Ben Finney  <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> >A rough working definition [of “real name”]: The name you would use
> >to introduce yourself if you met me for the first time in a similar
> >context but face to face.
>
> That's fine by me, but unless you know for sure that any particular
> person does not introduce zirself that way, I think that your
> parenthetical that I took exception to is phrased too strongly.

Understood. In this case, I *am* sure (enough to make the assumption
publicly) that the poster is not using their real name in their ‘From’
field, and was — politely, I hope — requesting that to be rectified.

--
 \     “Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to |
  `\       trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and |