Interest in generational GC for Python

Pascal Chambon chambon.pascal at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 20 14:39:11 EDT 2009

Martin v. Löwis a écrit :
>> Is there any interest in generational garbage collection in Python these days ?
>>
>> Anyone working on it ?
>>

> This is the time machine at work: the garbage collector in CPython *is*
> generational (with three generations).
>
> Regards,
> Martin
> --

I'm lost there. Isn't CPython using reference counting (i.e updating the
object's state at each reference creation/deletion, and deleting the
objects as soon as they have no more references to them) ? It seemed to
me that generational GC only applied to periodic GCs, like tracing
garbage collectors. Or is CPython using a mix of both technologies (to
prevent cycles for example) ?

Regards,
pascal