when can i expect libraries and third party tools to be updated for python 3 ?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Apr 20 11:02:19 EDT 2009

(Is there hope that you could set your ‘From’ field using your real name
so we can discuss with a real person instead of a pseudonym?)

Deep_Feelings <doctoresam at gmail.com> writes:

> every one is telling "dont go with python 3 , 3rd party tools and
> libraries have no compitability with python 3"

That's a situation that will change over time, of course; *entirely new*
code, with no external dependencies, is encouraged to use Python 3.x
where feasible, and the number of existing libraries ported to Python
3.x can be expected to increase.

> so from previous experience :

Whose previous experience? Python has never been in such a situation
before, so I'm not sure what previous experience you expect to apply.

> when can i expect libraries and third party tools to be updated for
> python 3 ? (especially libraries )

That will differ for each and every third party and library, of course.
Some will switch rapidly, others slowly, and still others will molder
unmaintained and never convert.

More to the point, you don't need to know when *every* party switches;
just the parties that produce the libraries in which you're interested.
Why not ask the parties themselves?

--
 \      “If we have to give up either religion or education, we should |
  `\              give up education.” —William Jennings Bryan, 1923-01 |